To ensure that the installation of AC/DC UPS System and related activities are executed safely and in accordance with the contract requirements and that all quality assurance/ control activities required for the same are conducted in a systematic manner, works are inspected and conformance is verified and documented.
This Method Statement defines the procedures to be followed for the installation of AC/DC UPS System.
- Electrical Approved Materials & Equipment (Data sheet/ Submittal)
- Approved Electrical power Project Drawing
- Project Specification, United States Standard, IEEE Standard & Etc. Local Law 21-2011 Waste Management.
- FIRE AND LIFE SAFETY CODE OF PRACTICE July 2018.
- Federal Law No.8 Regarding the Organization of labour Relations.
- Ministerial Order No.32-The Determination of Retentive method and measures for the protection of workers from the risk of the work (the ministry of labour and social affairs)
- OSHAD-RF & SF – Specific & Relevant COPs, Elements, and Mechanisms to be listed down based on activities and scope of work which will vary for each risk assessment.
OSHAD SF COP’s Version 3.1 July 2018.
- Ref OSHAD-SF Cop 34 Safe Use of Lifting Equipment and Lifting Accessories
V 3.0 July 2016.
- Ref OSHAD-SF Cop 14 Manual Handling and Ergonomics V 3.1 June 2017.
- Ref OSHAD-SF Cop 8.0 General Workplace Amenities V 3.1 June 2018.
- Ref OSHAD-SF Cop 2.0 Personal Protective Equipment V 3.1 June 2018.
- Ref OSHAD-SF Cop 15 Electrical Safety V 3.1 June 2017.
- Ref OSHAD-SF Cop 21 Permit to Work Systems V 3.0 July 2016.
- Ref OSHAD-SF Cop 23 Working at Heights V 3.0 July 2016
- Ref OSHAD-SF Cop 26 Scaffolding V 3.0 July 2016.
- Ref OSHAD-SF Cop 35 Portable Power Tools V 3.0 July 2016.
- Ref OSHAD-SF Cop 37 Ladders V 3.0 July 2016.
- Ref OSHAD-SF Cop 15 Mechanical Safety V 3.1 June 2017.
- Ref OSHAD-SF Cop 11 Safety in the Heat V 3.1 June 2017.
- Ref OSHAD-SF Cop 8 General Workplace Amenities V 3.0 July 2016.
- AC – Alternating Current
- UPS – Uninterruptible Power Supply
DC – Direct Current
- Overall responsible for the implementation of this method statement
- Responsible for ensuring that the work is performed in accordance with the specification and with the time & constraints.
- Coordinate with MEP Coordinator (Contractor) for obtaining the necessary resources for the project deployed as required.
- Submit progress report as per contractual requirements to Main Contractor.
- Ensure that all required submittal are made in timely manner.
- Coordination with the Contractor, Company, Engineers, Safety personnel and subcontractor for the safety and quality during the execution of the project.
Site Electrical Engineer:
- Ensure that the activities are carried out according to the Specification, drawing and approved Method Statement.
- Ensuring Submittals and Company approval on relevant MEP drawing/ Material/ Suppliers/ Subcontractors/ Method Statement and Quality/HSE Documentation.
- Arrange all materials and tools required for installation as per agreed project schedule.
- Coordinate to MEP Coordinator & Construction Manager for obtaining the necessary resources for the project & deploy as required.
- Provide all necessary information and distribute the responsibilities to his construction team.
- Monitor that all in process tests are carried out and obtained approval from Client/ Main Contractor/ Consultant.
- Monitoring & ensuring that the works is performed in accordance within the time and cost constraints.
- Coordinate with the Safety Engineer to ensure that the works are carried out in a safe working practice.
- Pass all the revised information to the site General foreman and ensure that it’s being carried out properly for entire MEP System.
- Ensure all Electrical work activities are in conformance with approved shop drawings, contract requirements/ specification, and Method Statement.
- Ensure that relevant and required Materials are requested on time in correct quantities.
- Provide Approved Shop drawings to site Engineer for proper site Installation.
- Advising Site Engineer on all Technical aspects regarding work methods, sequence of installation, testing and commissioning.
- Follow up site activities and ensure all relevant non-conformance issues (if any) are resolved and cleared out. Communication with QA/QC Engineer and HSE Engineer for preventive and corrective actions.
- Coordinate the progress of main contractor works to ensure installations of MEP works are considering preventive and corrective actions.
- Coordination with other Contractors/ Company to provide solutions affecting design development / Coordination matters.
- Responsible for the coordination of all electro-mechanical activities, coordination with other discipline and between various subcontractors on sites.
- Reviewing of MEP daily, Weekly & Monthly progress reports.
- Ensuring MEP subcontractor Payment Certificates are reviewed and approved for payment.
- Responsible for all related activities prior to completion of the project
- Carrying out the works and the proper distribution of all the available resources in coordination with the Site Engineer on a daily basis.
- Continuous coordination and following Site Engineers instruction to meet quality requirements during the job execution.
- Incorporate all the QC & Safety requirements as requested by the company’s representative.
- Report to Site Engineer the accomplishment and problem encountered on daily basis.
- Ensure all Inspections are raised and conducted as per the Contract Specifications, PQP, & ITPs.
- Ensure all Inspections, proper tools & tackles and manpower are used at all stages of work.
- Ensure Call current issues of procedures, approved material and shop drawing and standards are available at the point of use.
- Ensure the works comply with the contract requirements/ approved shop drawings to serve the purpose.
- Ensure the Total quality for Installation work. He shall liaise with Company for Inspection of Installation works.
- Inspect for any damages during handling, & Storage.
- Monitor the quality of work and ensure that fulfillment of specified requirement and that all quality records related to work are completed.
- Ensure the work is completed as per quality requirements. Contractor shall inspect the same work to initiate ITR for company approval.
- Maintain comprehensive inspection and test records for any further references.
Safety Officer/ Engineer:
- Tool Box talk has to be conducted and all the hazards have to be identified before starting the work.
- To make sure that the Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) are used by the Task Force during executions of work at site.
- Risks related to the activity shall be assessed and addressed as required.
- To provide training for the work force in order to execute the activity safely.
- Carry out regular and random inspection on site and record observations.
METHOD OF WORK:
- Battery Charger
- Lifting Equipment
- Portable drilling Machine / grinding machine
- Portable hand Tools
- Machine and angle cutter
- Spirit level
- Digital multi-meter
- Earth resistance tester
- Site Electrical Engineer/ site supervisor will ensure the location of earth pits as per the approved shop drawings. Ensure the location of earth pits are coordinated with external services like water supply lines, drainage pipe lines, gas pipe lines, external lighting systems and other services.
- Adjacent earth electrodes will be as per the approved shop drawings.
- The copper bonded earth rods will be driven in earth. After achieving a minimum depth of approximately 3 meters, the earth resistance will be measured. If the earth resistance value is not satisfactory, the process of adding further earth electrodes will be continued till specified earth resistance value is achieved. All the values will be recorded.
- The earth pit will be installed after completion of installation of earth rod connections and a clear gap of 50mm will be maintained between top of earth pit cover. The top of the earth pit will be level with the finished level in the area.
- The PVC sheath single core earthing cables will be laid between the earth pit and the earth bar inside the electrical room and terminated with proper compression type lugs/ clamps as per the approved shop drawings and as per the specifications.
- The inter connection of cable pits / earth bars will be done as per the approved drawings.
- All earthing connections will be made after cleaning the surface thoroughly and tightness checks for each connections will be performed.
- Continuity of each earth connections will be checked for every link in the network.
- The down-stream earthing connections from earth bars will be made to the panel boards, frames and other equipment as per the approved shop drawings and project specification.
- Along with those power cables mentioned in schematic drawing an earthing cable conductor will be laid and it will be terminated to the earth bar of the panel/equipment which it feeds to in addition with local earthing from earth bar as per schematic diagram and to authority approval.
- In substations, the star point of the transformer will be solidly earthed separately with dedicated earth pits. The location of earth pits will be close to the transformer yard as per specifications.
- Coordination with Architectural and civil services will be carried out.
- On completion of total earthing system and testing, reports will be submitted for approval.
Handling And Storage:
- The materials received shall be offloaded in designated lay down yard store.
- During shifting or offloading material shall not be dropped off. Proper Lifting and transporting equipment shall be used as required.
- The material shall be stored according to the manufacturer’s instruction to minimize damage.
- All material shall be segregated accordingly to facilitate location of the
- Prior to moving to site, Chillede Water Pumps will be checked against data sheets to ensure conformity to the specification.
- QC inspector and Supervisor will check the following (scrutinize and examine Documents and units); Fan and Motor, type, model, ratings, components and installation complied with specifications, capacity, vibration and sound level, unit controls, unit operation, power supply, enclosure, unit openings for supply ducts, cooling coils, type of filters, all of these will be checked and recorded in MVR form, inspection will be witnessed by the consultant.
- Where equipments are to be held in a storage area, particular attention will be paid to the condition of instruments and devices installed on the panel fascias. AC Units and fans shall be stored and handled in accordance with manufaturer’s Instructions.
- Where equipment or equipment section are sealed to prevent ingress of moisture or dust, this shall not be disturbed unless physical damages observed.
- Check for mechanical damages and the operation of moving parts and check for freedom of movement.
- Equipment received at site shall be inspected and approved in accordance with Material Approval Request form.
- UPS panel and batteries shall be shifted to its location without causing any damages.
- Installation of UPS panel will be carried out as per manufacturer’s recommendations. Access around UPS panel will be checked for any maintenance works.
- All batteries will be charged fully arranged and connected as per manufacturer’s recommendations. Incoming and outgoing cable connections will be done as per approved shop drawing with suitable cable gland cable lugs etc., clean earth shall be provided for UPS panel as per approved shop drawing.
- All components of the UPS panel such as breakers, relays, fuses, meters, contactors and terminals etc. will be verified against the approved material submittal for correct rating and size.
- UPS panel shall be covered and protected until the time of commissioning.
- Prior to Installation, equipment will be checked against equipment data sheets and inspected for material damages.
- Particular attention will be paid to the condition of Battery charging panels and UPS control panels which have panel facia mounted instruments. Where these panels are sealed to prevent the ingress of moisture or dust, they shall not be disturbed unless damage is observed.
- Batteries will be stored at a dry, clean and cool location per the
- Manufacturer’s instruction in air conditioned rooms at temperatures not exceeding 25°
- Battery racks will be installed or assembled according to the manufacturer’s instruction and detailed drawing.
- Prior to installation of batteries, battery room floor finish is completely clean, free from debris and any obstructions.
- Battery chargers and inverters will be installed per approved drawing and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Testing and commissioning of all units will be carried out by vendor representatives.
- Battery discharge test shall be carried out as per vendor recommendatinos.
Pre-Commissioning and Commissioning Checks:
- Ensure that all equipment included, should be thoroughly cleaned and checked.
- Ensure that all foreign debris is thoroughly flushed out from the whole pipework system.
- All automatic controls and safety devices shall be inspected and checked for service before the working fluid or electricity ability is applied to the system.
- When various installations have been completed and pre- commissioning has been done, setting of work is to be carried out in the entire installation prior to the issuance of completion certificate.
- Ensure that all apparatus are working as per specification.
- Ensure that all instruments are correctly calibrated and accurate.
- Ensure that all services are tested and control systems are functioning correctly and are properly set, sequenced or interlocked.
Final Acceptance Test:
- After the commissioning of the entire installation, final acceptance tests shall be carried out prior to the issuance of Performance Certificate in accordance with the programmed to be agreed with the Consultant.
- Should the results of the acceptance Test do not conform to the required performance, adjustment and modification to the system is necessary to be carried out.
- Prior to the issuance of Certificate of Completion, tests shall be carried out whenever required by the authorities having jurisdiction over the said performance tests.
Health Risk Assessment:
- All the above operations shall be executed strictly in accordance with Project Occupational Health, Safety, Security and Environmental Plan.
- Prior to the commencement of any activities, the workforce will receive a safety induction on the project site safety requirements; this safety induction will include Project HSE Policy, Project details and layout, Site management team, general site HSE requirements, emergency procedure including Emergency contact numbers, Roles and responsibilities of the workers, Site discipline, general environmental awareness, PPE requirements.
- The HSE roles and responsibilities shall be delivered to all staff (construction manager, engineer, supervisor, foremen, and charge hand).
- Work will commence as per safety regulations laid in the contract specifications and project safety plan.
- Housekeeping shall be of good standard and debris shall be removed.
- All activities will be performed according to the control measures and instructions prescribed in the attached Risk Assessment Sheets.
- Daily JSA will be done before the commencement of each shift and each new task.
- All Vehicles will have valid licenses and passes before entering the site.
- PPE shall be issued to all personnel (Mandatory PPE’s: Hard hat, Safety glass, high visibility vest, Safety shoes and cover all. Task specific PPE; Dust mask, goggles, hand gloves).
- Specific training shall be given for task specific tools and equipment’s; records shall be kept in HSE department.
- Heat stress training will be provided during summer time, records shall be kept in HSE department.
- Adequate cool drinking water, shade and hydrolyte shall be placed.
- Plant and equipment shall have back up alarms, lights and all other applicable safety devices.
- Provide Banks man when operating equipment reverse and moving the equipment where pedestrian movement is exist.
- Work on site will be supervised by a competent person (Qualified SE)
- Safety Lighting
- Contact numbers of personnel concerned to be displayed.
- Emergency response team to be designated and on standby:
- All emergency contact people are posted around the project and are being discussed during site safety meeting.
- Emergency routes and exists to be clearly marked.
- 1 vehicle with one driver will be available for any emergency.
- Requirement of the Project Emergency Preparedness and Response plan shall be strictly followed.
- In the event of an accident, contact the area HSE Supervisor.
- In case of Diesel Spillage contact the Environmental department.
- Easy means of access will be available at all time.
- Contact numbers of all emergency supervisors will be distributed to site personnel (Site engineer, Safety officer, male nurse and concerned authorities and emergency services).
- Injuries will have the highest priority to be directly dealt with at once.
- There are different types of situations that we need to consider under this section. These are:
- Basic first aid
- Property damage
- Environmental releases
- The nominated response team will consist of:
- Site nurse
- Safety Engineer/Officer
- Site Superintendent/Foreman
- 4no of operatives
- Basic first aids
- The injured person, if mobile, can make his way to the site clinic for treatment by a qualified site nurse that is available and logged in the first aid register.
Under this section, there are two categories that we need to consider. They are as follows:
If the patient is feeling un-well, he will immediately inform his supervisor and go to the site clinic to be assessed by the site nurse. The site nurse will then advise, or the patient will require further examination and he will be taken to the hospital.
If the patient had collapsed during his work, alarm must be raised to inform the response team. The team will then respond accordingly by the quickest possible way arriving at the location of the incident. Along with them, they will bring a first aid kit, an emergency stretcher and an emergency vehicle. Once they are on the scene, the site nurse will assess the patient and the team will then take the patient on the stretcher either to the site clinic or to the local hospital.
- If you see someone lying unconscious or “froze on the circuit,” the very first thing to do is shut off the power by opening the appropriate disconnect switch or circuit breaker. Don’t touch another person being shocked, If the power disconnect switch cannot be located quickly enough, it may be possible to dislodge the victim from the circuit they’re frozen on to by prying them or hitting them away with a dry wooden board or piece of nonmetallic conduit.
- Once the victim has been safely disconnected from the source of electric power, the immediate medical concerns for the victim should be respiration and circulation (breathing and pulse). Call nearest First aider to apply first aid to the electrocuted person. If a victim is still conscious after having been shocked, they need to be closely monitored and cared for until male nurse arrives.
- Rescue from Height:
- There will be rescue team with emergency rescue kit readily available at site in case of “Rescue from Height” is needed. The rescue team members are chosen from scaffolding team that has no acrophobia and has enough experience on working at height.
- Emergency response drill should be conducted as per Project Emergency Drill Schedule.
- Only the competent personnel will be allowed to install the system who has experience and trained by the supplier.
- Working areas will be kept free as practicable from construction debris and equipment’s which are not actually in use.
- Proper access to the work areas should be maintained all the time. Particular attention to be paid to environmental hazards such as excessive dust emission, excessive noise from equipment, unpleasant odor of material or chemical to be used, etc. Hence a corresponding control measure will be performed as below mentioned but not limited on it:
- Water spraying for dust control
- Noise level monitoring
Complied with the materials safety data sheet recommendation regarding environmental aspect/impact of the material to be used.
- Inspection & Test Plan
- Risk Assessment
- Quality Control Procedures